May 9, 2011 – The Pointe-à-Callière, Montréal Museum of Archaeology and History,built in 1992 over a concentration of historical and archaeological sites of national stature, routinely takes visitors on a veritable foray into the city’s past, but with an exciting new expansion project already in progress, the Museum is deepening its mission of preservation, information, and education.
Pointe-à-Callière is expanding
The initial phase of expansion began in spring 2011 with the process of converting the Mariners House (formerly the Maison du Père) into a key centre devoted to archaeology. The new ‘Archaeology House’ will host educational activities, family workshops, and excavation simulations for the hundreds of thousands of visitors who frequent the Museum on an annual basis.
Also, starting in summer 2011, Place D’Youville West will transform into an archaeological dig, which will unearth to the public some crucial components of Montréal history, including the remains of St. Ann’s Market, built in 1832 (and later the site of the first Parliament of the United Province of Canada).
The multimedium is the message
On view since November 2, 2010, the revamped multimedia show, Yours Truly, Montréal, uses cutting-edge technology to recreate the evolution of Montréal through time. Broadcast in eight languages – English, French, Spanish, Italian, German, Mandarin, Japanese and Arabic – and presented in a completely refurbished hall, this 18-minute projection features historical characters and explores Montréal’s transformation from the Native American era to the present day.