The result of a Public Works construction program that began in 1938, Central Station opened on July 14, 1943. The station’s Departure Hall is decorated with a historic fresco that illustrates the lives of Canadians, their industries, their activities and dreams for the future. Decorative elements and themes show people engaged in a wide array of typical Canadian work and leisure activities. The words of the Canadian National Anthem are written along the base of the fresco. Businesses in Les Halles de la Gare include various restaurants, bakeries, a liquor store, a pharmacy and a florist.