St-Jean-Baptiste Day. 30 degrees. No A/C. On a day like today, a true insider is left with no other choice: Montreal’s secret hipster pool, here I come!
I know spilling the beans on this local treasure won’t score me any brownie points with the locals. But hey, if it means getting hot New Yorkers to my neck of the woods, I’m all for it!
The secret pool is surrounded by grass and trees, a refreshing alternative to the hot concrete that reigns in most city pools. Oh, and in addition to minimal concrete, children are few and far between. Don’t get me wrong, I love kids. But I love them so much more when they’re not taking a leak in our communal pool, if you know what I mean!
In any case, the secret pool is a great place to relax with your girlfriends, meet locals and load up on sunshine. Don’t forget to bring a cooler full of goodies: watermelon, chips, carrots, wine, water and beer. Yeah, you read right! When there’s food involved, you’re allowed to break out the alcohol in Montreal’s many green spaces.
Now you’re probably waiting for me to tell you exactly where the secret pool is. Truth is, even if I wanted to, there’s no address. However, I’ve put a little something together for you… It’s called the How to Get to Montreal’s Secret Pool Guide:
• The pool is hidden behind the grounds of the McGill Hospital
• Think Pine Avenue, parking lots and stairs
• Bring a French Dictionary or just remember this key phrase: Où est la piscine? (which in English means, where is the pool?)
• Keep in mind that most locals don’t even know there’s a pool on Mount-Royal, and if they do, they probably won’t be all that inclined to point you in the right direction. If you’re caught in a bind, ask a McGill Hospital staffer for help
• If you’re feeling more adventurous, there’s a secret pathway to the secret pool from the TAM-TAMs on Parc Avenue
• Being part of the secret pool society will cost you $5 at the door
• It’s so worth the effort!
If you’re a tourist, let me know if you made it!
If you’re a local, let me know what makes the secret pool so special!
What to do
Let's experience Montréal
→ Select your interests
→ Live your Montréal moments
→ Get inspired for you next stay