While Montréal is an active and outdoorsy city throughout the entire year, the arrival of springtime is always greeted with a certain joviality. The locals swap their winter jackets for their bicycles. The sidewalks bustle a bit more. People are extra smiley. Romance is in the air. There is nothing quite like spring in Montréal, and here are 10 signs that it is most definitely here!
2) One of Montréal’s most iconic images — pink balls — reappear in the Gay Village!
(Coming in April, stay tuned…)
3) Montréal’s shared bicycle system BIXI return to the streets once again — ding ding!
The 2016 season starts officially on April 15.
4) The students of Canada’s most distinguished university (McGill) start throwing the ol’ Frisbee around. Hello t-shirts and flip-flops!
5) From residential gardens to downtown boulevards, fetching flowers begin to nudge their way out of the soil. The blooming begins!
6) Crowd-pleasing Montréal ice cream shops such as Ripples, Bilboquet and La Diperie open their doors!
7) The store windows along Sainte-Catherine Street are packed with pretty sun dresses and handsome summerwear!
8) Local soccer fans gather at Saputo Stadium to cheer for the Montréal Impact!
9) The lilac trees at the Botanical Garden burst with the most intoxicating of aromas!
10) Locals are bracing for that last gasp of winter: the dreaded spring snow storm.