Hockey is more than just a sport of fighting goons, a fast puck and guys skating with a stick. Hockey is a culture, a lover and a religion to Montreal Canadiens fans. We talk hockey, we breathe hockey and we eat hockey…
Here, therefore, is a list of my Top 10 places in Montreal to eat excellent food and watch the game…
- Ye Olde Orchard: My favourite place in the city to watch any sport and eat. You can order anything from Sri Lankin curry to Irish stew or a brilliant medium rare burger with sweet potato fries. They have HDTVs for every angle and the service is just perfect.
- Le Crapaud: A tad out of the way, but worth the taxi ride. They know hockey, they know food and they know how to party. You’ll find me here a few times a season.
- The Factory bar: Right on the Main, this place will serve you a burger (pictured above) that might take you the whole game to finish. HDTVs are everywhere and the venue has a great atmosphere for watching the Habs.
- Brasserie Rachel Rachel: Montreal-famous and a huge hockey fan, Bob Le Chef runs this place like no other in the city. He develops each menu item with a special touch. The upbeat venue is about the party, the awesome food and hockey.
- Les Plaisirs Coupables: Montreal-popular chef Jean-François Plante dedicates his restaurant to a menu of guilty pleasures. Have a Foie Gras and truffle’s oil poutine as you watch the game on their many HDTVs without sound.
- m:brgr: A popular burger joint in Montreal, this place shows each game. The burgers are juicy and just the way you like them. The Habs themselves frequent the place on off nights.
- Le BOucan: If you’re a meat-eating, BBQ-loving sports fan, book your night here. They have the most amazing BBQ and have a screen or two showing the game. The perfect night out.
- Brutopia: Despite technically not being a resto, they have an amazing roast beef sandwich and a few TVs for the game. As an added bonus, some say they have the best home-brewed beers in town. I go here often with my friends.
- Lucille’s Oyster Dive: A small place with an awesome seafood menu (pictured below). With a few TVs over the bar, this place is ideal for watching the game as you take down a few oysters.
- Vieux Port Steakhouse: If you’re looking for something a bit more steak frites, this steak house in the Old Port has a special room just for watching the game as you eat.
Born and raised in Montreal, Na’eem Adam is a guest blogger with nothing but food and the Habs on his mind. You can find more info on restaurants that show the hockey games on his blog, Le Méchant Mangeur.