Valentine’s Day is just around the corner. If you haven’t already planned your special day with your significant other, you’ll thank me that I caught you before it’s too late. Here’s a quick checklist that will keep your ladylove smiling and starry-eyed on Valentine’s Day…
1) THE WARM-UP
• Flowers: Even if you live together, have them sent to her so that she receives them in public. It’s that five minutes of jealously from on-lookers that will rack you up points for years. Pourquoi Pas does elegant minimalist bouquets. They offer normal, deluxe and super deluxe options for their bouquets. Three words for you: Go. All. Out.
2) THE DINNER
Romance must be high: candles, table for two, a fireplace is a huge bonus. Some choice restos that offer special menus for your tête-à-tête are:
• XO at Hotel St-James: Pimped out in Parisian style décor, enjoy the five-course tasting meal with a comp cocktail. Splurge on the wine-pairing menu and ask for a nook in one of the circular alcoves.
• Auberge St-Gabriel: Let your love bask in cosy Old World ambience of stone walls, wooden beams and fireplace. The design is, however, a contemporary interpretation by Bruno Braun, local style-meister. Star chef Eric Gonzales will not disappoint.
• Toque!: This posh spot says, “I love you” on a silver platter.
3) THE DESSERT (wink wink): Even if you live in Montreal, splurge on chic hotel. A couple spots to consider for your cocoon getaway are Place d’Armes and Ritz Carlton. Or why not the “Only You” package at swish Hotel St-Paul? The amorous package gives you a room, Veuve Clicquot, a Serrano ham and candied-fruit plate, and yes, rose petals and candles. Call them 10 minutes before you arrive and they’ll light the wicks for you! Fast forward to the next day (this is a public site), you’ll get a deluxe continental breakfast (in bed, if you like) and then a late 3 p.m. checkout – just in case anything happens after those croissants.