Montréal Ranks First (Again) As The Leading Convention City In The Americas!
For the fourth consecutive year, Montréal has ranked first place in the Americas for hosting international association events. According to 2014 data compiled by the Union of International Associations (UIA), Montréal finished ahead of New York, Washington and Buenos Aires. In total, the city hosted 79 major international events.
We’re not trying to be boastful—oh, who are we kidding?—but we think that the ranking is especially impressive given the competitive global environment along with a few other factors, such as a saturation of convention venues and an increasingly stronger U.S. convention market.
What is this “UIA”?
Founded in 1907, the Union of International Associations is a research institute and documentation centre that specializes in researching, compiling and providing information on international organizations and international associations as a means of understanding global issues. Each year since 1960, the UIA has issued the International Meetings Statistics Report, which compiles data and statistics on the international meetings held worldwide in the preceding year. In short, they’re an important organization with their finger on the pulse of the global meetings community.
So Why Is Montréal Such a Success Story?
We’d like to think our achievements are attributed to our team-based approached. Here at Tourisme Montréal, we work closely with our colleagues at the Palais des congrès de Montréal (the city’s convention centre), along with our various hotel partners and a handful of the city’s top meeting industry professionals. Furthermore, with a long list of personalized services, the Tourisme Montréal team is continually improving. We help with the planning process every step of the way for international organizations, wherever they are headquartered. We’d like to think that old fashion teamwork has made us a leading convention city.
Additional Fun Facts About Montréal
- Montréal’s Palais des congrès was among the finalists for the prestigious World’s Best Congress Centre award in 2014.
- In May, for the fourth consecutive year the city hosted C2 Montréal. The event’s aim is to engage local and international business leaders by providing an immersive environment that fosters collaboration and the emergence of new business solutions.
- The Smart and Digital City office was created to make Montréal a worldwide leader among smart and digital cities.
- Among the 20 largest metropolises in North America, Montréal ranks 1st in terms of competitive operating costs. (Just don’t call us cheap!)
- In 2014, 14 million passengers went through the Montréal-Trudeau Airport (YUL)